Who’s one of the hottest female singer of the moment? Lana Del Rey of course. We could all agree that we are head over heels with this girl. Not only, does she have such a beautiful voice, she is also a gorgeous girl who’s beauty is timeless. And what about that unmistakable sense of style? She is all about old Hollywood retro with an edge. Remember how she described her sound as “gangster Nancy Sinatra” ? The same could be said about her personal style. With those long wavy locks, winged-out mascara and luscious lips, who doesn’t want to look like Lana Del Rey?
But Del Rey is not the one and only old Hollywood/retro-beauty in the industry. A lot of stars in the past have channeled the likes of Jean Harlow, Rita Hayworth, Sophia Loren and Marilyn Monroe way before our little Miss Del Rey. Gwen Stefani, Dita Von Teese, Madonna, the late Amy Winehouse and countless of other talented actresses and musicians have shown us how timeless beauty could be.
Are you tempted to turn yourself into an old Hollywood beauty? We have five simple steps to get you started and you are well on your way to become the next retro Hollywood siren.
1. Two key elements for old Hollywood makeup is heavy mascara and cherry red lips. Wing-out liners and thick mascaras are a must but try to keep it slightly low-key. Think more in the line of Lily Allen than Amy Winehouse.
2. Notice how back then the hair is always very voluminous, big and wavy. Hair-spray is crucial to achieve this look. It’s okay if you hair is a bit stiff as old Hollywood hair is supposed to look that way.
Modern Family’s Ariel Winter in Moschino Cheap & Chic halter dress
3. Do it like Marilyn Monroe with a halter dress. You can mix it up to keep it modern. Instead of the boring muted tone, go for something floral or printed like actress Ariel Winter in the photo above.
4. Noticed how Lana Del Rey always keep things modern with her accessories? She is always spotted wearing her favorite three-finger ring and ghetto-gold accessories. You could do the same too and don’t look as if you have just stepped out of a sixties movie set. A little bit of anything neon could do the trick.
5. Yes the whole idea is old Hollywood but you can also pick up pieces from other decades to make things more fun. Gwen Stefani always adds edgy pieces such as cuffs and necklaces that belongs to a different decade like the Eighties when she does old Hollywood. But they still work and does not come across at all confusing. You can also perhaps opt for a pair of platforms from the seventies (which by the way is a must have item this season) and team them up with your old Hollywood get-up.
Now look at yourself in the mirror. Who is that gorgeous retro glamour queen staring back at you?!
Photos: vogue, stylebistro & google