A high metabolism is what is responsible for burning calories which equal to weight loss and more fat being used in your body. If you want to start losing a dress size or two, you’re going to need to fire up your metabolism in order to start burning some calories.
How do you fire up your metabolism? Through exercise of course. It is the only way to do it. Unless you’re one of the lucky few born with a naturally high metabolism rate, you’re going to need to exercise and there is no other way around it.
Exercising not only increases your metabolism, it keeps it elevated for a couple of hours, so you’re burning more fat than you normally would if you didn’t exercise. Plus exercising helps you build muscle, which is also essential in burning up calories.
Here are some of the most effective workouts that we like to help kick your metabolism up a notch and get you not only fitter, but slimmer and trimmer too:
- Jogging: It uses up a lot of energy (which means you burn more calories), increases your stamina and tones your legs all in one. Jogging at a slow and steady pace is the best because it allows you to work for a longer period (you don’t get tired too quickly) and the continuous increased heart rate will help you burn a whole lot of calories in the process.
- Swimming: Quite possible one of the best workouts for increasing metabolism. It is low impact, but you can burn a lot of calories doing a couple of laps up and down the pool. And no, fooling around in the pool just chit chatting and bobbing in place does not count. You need to do serious swimming, which means continuous laps up and down the pool with a few minutes break in between if you need it.
- Kickboxing: A powerful total body workout, this one will help you build muscle, work your entire body and increase your stamina making you a lot more fit. Kickboxing will utilize almost every muscle in your body from top to toe, which makes it a great workout for taking your metabolism up a notch.
- Skipping: Have you ever noticed how boxers have incredible stamina and look very toned and lean? They have skipping included in their daily workout routine. A real calorie burner, skipping will tone your legs, increase your stamina, and anyone can do this work out because it is simple.
- Dance: Dancers have great bodies and that is because dancing will tone your entire body. Dancing is fun, upbeat, energetic and you’ll be having so much fun you won’t even realize you’re getting a workout but you are. Because dancing is energetic and upbeat, you’re doing to use a lot of body movement and those movements are vigorous, and that’s how you burn those calories.
Try these workouts and see the difference for yourself!